Thursday, April 24, 2008

My name is Yvette, and I'm an Idea Addict.

I recently came across an article by Scott Belsky of the Behance Team that helped me realize and admit that I am an idea addict. I love to get lost in my thoughts, constantly churning up new creative ideas and endeavors. Doesn't sound too bad on the surface, but in practice it gets in the way of progress and productivity. Belsky states:
"Idea generation is an addiction…an engaging, brain-spinning indulgence that must be practiced in moderation."

Moderation in all things. I think I've heard that mantra before. Their team spends only 1% of their time generating new ideas and the remaining 99% bringing their idea to life. Although he says you should enjoy your creative sessions, you must:
"Recognize that such occasions have the tendency to be intoxicating. New ideas have the potential to transform your life in wonderful ways, but they are also the most notorious source of distraction. Frustrated entrepreneurs and struggling creatives often trace back their problems to a moment when they decided to pursue too many things at once.

The steps for making ideas happen are interrupted by impaired judgment.
And, as we all know, our judgment is impaired when we get intoxicated. When rampant, new ideas will get you off track strive to make ideas happen, rather than just generate more ideas."

No comments: